Thursday, August 14, 2008

Gone painting...

I have been asked to come up with three biggish watercolour paintings by sometime next week, along the lines of these oils that I painted and sold some years ago - sort of township/street scenes with a bright and lively feel! Next week! Eek! Eek! I have been madly gathering materials and references, and done some preliminary sketches and now have to actually start, and to be honest, I don't quite know how - all those figures, in watercolour, and in the time I have, I don't think that much detail is an option.
I think I'm going to do all three of them at the same time, so that while one wash is drying, I can carry on with another one.
If the client likes them, he may commission more to decorate his offices, so wish me luck and wave me goodbye... for a while, until the panic is over - see you next week!!




4 comments:

Gillian said...

Oh my - what a delight to see these! I know the person who owns them must be so pleased to have them on the wall. No doubt you'll do fine with this next w/c project. The pressure is on - which makes it so much harder than painting for your own pleasure in your own time frame. But the w/c's on your blog that we've all enjoyed over the past year convince me you'll deliver the goods beautifully.

laura said...

These oil paintings are really fabulous, Cathy! What a bright and humane spirit they have! I think your plan of working all three watercolors is a great idea ... A week! That's really not much time, but, on the bright side, that's not much time! ;-) I hope you'll post the results.

Vivienne said...

These are fantastic paintings.So much life and colour and personality. Full of fun, and very African.
All your fast and furious posting of the last weeks will stand you in good stead,in coming up with the goods.What you did so smartly for the Beryl Cook challenge was perfect.And that knitting! But what a rush!! Presumably you don't have to frame them as well? Good luck .. look forward to seeing them here.

Cathy Gatland said...

Thanks for your confidence Gillian, and cheering on, all - Laura, you are so right, sometimes less time is better... less stressing, procrastinating and faffing... :-D Just do it.
Vivienne I'm thinking of a Berylish kind of approach - slight exaggeration of characters and shapes - just tricky to come up with an instant style for this project! No I don't have to frame them - yay!