Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Finished and Klaar!


A watercolour doodle I did some time ago (have I posted it before?) which kind of describes how I'm feeling - ie the woozy man, not the jaunty girl - after a marathon two months or more of drawingdrawingdrawing and for the last two weeks, colouringcolouringcolouring on the computer. Below is a collage of just a few of the line drawings for the health manual I've been working on, which were preceded by copious pencil sketches which were submitted for comments and many changes. They had to be very clear and explicit, with each tiny face bearing a tiny expression and every little figure representing an ethnic group, with a hairstyle, a set of clothes and usually an ailment or health issue. So many decisions to make, so many reference pics to look up... but, I'm done! Holding thumbs and crossing toes as it goes into meetings and gets discussed ad infinitum, that it won't come back with more changes. Ah well, there are worse ways to make a living.
One great thing I've discovered during this long stretch are Podcasts. They made hours and hours of sitting, eyestrain and shoulder-burn (I did get up to stretch and fetch too many snacks) positively uplifting. Some of my favourite listening sites: On Being , Savvy Painter,  Melvyn Bragg on BBC... there are so many more, I could sit here for ever and never get through them, but very happy to have found them when I did.


Not sure what to do with myself now - I will I hope, get back soon to painting and sketching, of the loose & spontaneous variety, but for the the moment I'm just pottering.

7 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

I think you deserve a break for a while. Cannot imagine all the work that went into these very very very detailed drawings!! Amazing! And I like the couple and the colors. Rest, relax and enjoy some down time.

MYSTELIOS said...

Very wonderful painting !!!
All the best and have a nice day !!!

Miss Tea said...

Very cool! Rob loves the drunk guys drawing. Please listen to some radiolab and this American life.

Cathy Gatland said...

Thanks Rhonda - a break is coming up with some sea, sand and chilled wine!

Miss Tea?? I believe we are closely related :-) I will listen, I know you've suggested Radiolab before!

Cathy said...

Oh my word!!! I can easily understand the stiff shoulders with such detailed drawings!!

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

Yikes! I'm tired just hearing about your project. Hope you are relaxed, drinking and enjoying the sea, soon.

Everyone always raves about podcasts. I should try and listen to one...one of these days.

Cathy Gatland said...

It's the computer colouring that kills the shoulders Cathy, luckily drawing isn't so hard on the old bod!

Carol, you do need long hours of not too brain-engaging stuff to do - if it needs too much concentration (like painting) you get to the end of the podcast and realise you haven't heard a thing!