Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Inktober 2020!

Where has this year gone?...into a blur of world-changing, life-changing upheavals and restrictions, time to paint, draw, crochet, bake, read and think, and think too much. But it's October, INKtober again. It's become a marker of time, slightly annoying (so much work!) but a serious threat of FOMO if I don't once again haul out the inks, pens and brushes and just do this thing. 


I really needed to find a way to make it enjoyable, engrossing, surprising - otherwise it's just a slog and takes up too much time. Last year I found that some tiny freestyle ink-and-coffee doodles I did, and developed into images (kind of like seeing pictures in clouds) led to unexpected happy results, far preferable to my more laboured responses to the prompts. So this year I'm doing it slightly more intentionally, thinking vaguely of what I want the blobs and splashes to form but trying not to control them too much... until sometimes I do😒

Above are the first six days, following the prompts. Left to right are Fish, Wisp, Bulk, Radio, Blade and Rodent. Some of the coffee and ink splashy beginnings below, the top two with Throw and Fancy in mind, the bottom two just random, hoping they'll become something...

 

I really love the interactions of coffee and water and ink, thinking I should just leave some of these as they are, but that seems like a cop out! 

4 comments:

Ginny Stiles said...

I love ink blobs...am hurrying off to try some too.

Sadami said...

Dear Cathy, In my eyes, your works are wonderful. Please be kind to yourself. Celebrate any result as achievement with yourself and others. Best wishes, Sadami

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère amie,
Je pense ne pas être la seule à avoir délaisser peu à peu les blogs, j'essaie de faire vivre le mien, plus au même rythme toutefois.
Aujourd'hui, je constate que cela me manque...
C'est un véritable plaisir que d'admirer vos dernières oeuvres.
Facebook est un excellent support, soit mais ne remplace pas la belle intimité des blogs...

Gros bisous,

Cathy Gatland said...

Thanks for your lovely comments, Ginny, Sadami and Martine - I miss the old blogging-community days too, the world seems ever faster and more immediate, but so uplifting to hear from old friends!