Thursday, January 31, 2008

Darkest Africa


A messy sketch of a messy situation (I made it worse here by adding colour) - daily, sometimes twice daily 2-3 hour powercuts are wreaking havoc with business, traffic and most alarmingly so far, the gold and platinum mine and steel industries, which can't risk sending miners underground in case of emergencies where they'd need to be brought up again in a hurry. So they all closed down for a couple of days last week - back up now, I believe, which means power 'load-shedding' as they call it for the rest of the country. This is the future for the next 5-8 years we've been told. Better post this before it goes again...

2 comments:

Gillian said...

I wonder if this will cause a new population boom for SA? I squirm a bit when I think of how we take our First World existence for granted here. But hurricane season is around the corner - and power "outages" - as they call them here - make me panic in the steamy heat of a Houston summer. Nature is the enemy here, not poor planning.

Adam Cope said...

now don't listen to what I've got to say cathy but it's OK to use some strong tonality for time to time

'necessity is the mother of invention'