Saturday, January 5, 2008

Mango season

We've had these beautiful mangoes in a bowl for a couple of days, and I thought I have to paint them before we can eat them - so I did two rather frantic watercolours over the last two days. I wanted to try different methods, to see which one is more effective to portray the intense colours, ie. (1) my usual way of mixing colours and placing them next to each other, wet on dry where I want hard lines, and wet on wet where I want soft edges and (2) the patient layering of watercolour glazes to try and produce the depth and richness of colour that really, only nature seems to perfect. Well, the layered one is still in process -still looking a bit wishy-washy in places and muddy in others - hmm - but I had to post something to get the year off to a determined start, so this is about it. I think I might do an oil painting of them to put in our newly refurbished kitchen, which is fabulous, but a bit grey.

No comments: