Monday, August 16, 2010

Shells

Back to oil paints, I'm really switching around mediums in my eternal quest to find my forté and my style. This was admittedly also a practical choice - I painted it for everyONEcounts, an iniative for artists to raise funds for the care of abandoned babies in South Africa by donating artworks to be exhibited and sold - and oil on a gallery wrap canvas doesn't need framing and is, I hope, sturdier to be sent to Kwazulu Natal where the exhibition is to be held. All paintings are 12"x12" or 30x30cm. I spent ages thinking about how to interpret the theme 'every one counts', and scrummaging around my shelves for inspiration came upon a bag of seashells collected over beach holidays over the years. They seemed to speak to me, of multitudes and aloneness... of fragility and strength, difference and similiarity, intricacy and simplicity, abundance and preciousness, shelter and vulnerability. If you think too much about shells you can hardly bear to crush one underfoot.

13 comments:

Sandra said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! I am also trying to find my 'style' I am still struggling along with watercolours which is the most difficult medium I have tried yet :0)

Teresa said...

Beautiful painting.... love the soft luminosity and delicacy. It's wonderful.

Marie Theron said...

Cathy, you are truly versatile. I am also deeply moved by the lovely symbolism behind the shells painting!

RH Carpenter said...

This is lovely! So softly rendered and beautifully painted. I guess oil and watercolor are not hard for you? And a great cause, too...I like how you interpreted EveryOneCounts for this auction. I imagine this one will bring in a tidy sum for the organization.

Cathy Gatland said...

Thank you Sandra, maybe the trick to do is just to decide on your style and stick with it - the possibilities otherwise are endless! But so much to enjoy and explore - enjoy the watercolour!

Thanks so much Teresa and Marie

...and Rhonda - sometimes very hard, but this one came off the brush fairly willingly! All the paintings will sell at the same price - R1000 (about $150) - to stick with the 'each one counts'/everybody is of the same worth theme.

Carol King said...

what beautiful seashells. The colors are soft and delicate. And a lovely choice for the charity.

Debbie said...

What fun getting the fingernails full of oil paint for a wonderful charity. I salute you for this slight deviation in medium and wish you all the best with it Cathy. I love it's representative indication, the brush strokes and colours.

Charlene Brown said...

This painting is beautiful, Cathy, as is the quite profound concept represened.

laura said...

Beautiful interpretation; beautiful painting. Your shells look like a family.

Robyn Sinclair said...

Cathy - to hear you say you are still searching for you style gives me great comfort because to me it is the holy grail - and I'm sure I'm never going to find mine.

You meanwhile have have Great Style and it is always such a wonderful surprise to see you suddenly change media and handle it with such style. Beautifully expressed concept for your shell painting. Brava!

Parisbreakfasts said...

Beautiful!
Shells are so hard to paint

Gillian said...

I've got quite a bit of catch up to do on your blog! I've often felt like a giant crushing beautiful works of art when walking on a shelly beach, so I appreciate what you wrote about the shells. And the oil is wonderful. Maybe you should stop trying so hard to find your "style" and just accept that you are multi-talented and your paintings express something unique each time. This is such an interesting contrast to Winter Garden. More graphic - but lovely movement in the wet sand.

Cathy said...

Oh Cathy, how I love this painting! I can't believe it's oil!! It's so delicate it looks like watercolour! I love what you say about shells, and yes indeed, this painting sounds perfect for this initiative!