Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sketchcrawl #29



Yesterday our fledgling Joburg Sketchers group went to the Museum of Military History (aka the War Museum) for the 29th International Sketchcrawl. A boy sketcher's paradise, but a challenge for the less mechanically minded. First I tried the actual War Memorial from a close-up angle - hence stiff neck muscles today and proof that my perspective skills need serious work, then the angel on the top - somebody said it's called a 'nike', which I must look up when I have time. I have no time! At last I realised I couldn't escape, I had to draw a mechanical thing - a big gun - interesting how all the bits fit together when you start drawing at one end and work your way to the other. You can see the other Joburg sketchers work here on the Sketchcrawl site.
I spent Thursday and Friday at a wonderful drawing workshop, but the reporting of it and photographing the results is going to take a while, and life has got hectic again - hope to get to it soon.

18 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Well, I'm awfully impressed with your painting of the Big Gun! Whew!! And I had to laugh about the stiff neck - can see you standing staring up and stretching and trying to get that right - but I also think you did a good job of it!

Anita Davies said...

Fantastic works

SKIZO said...

Thank you for sharing
This fabulous work with us
Good creations

Unknown said...

Great crawl results Cathy.

Helen Percy Lystra said...

Wonderful results...

martinealison said...

Quel travail ! bravo

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the "somebody" means Nike, the goddess of victory?
Whatever the statue is, your sketches are pretty good!

Cathy Gatland said...

Thanks everyone - moreidlethoughts... Dinah?... I'm pretty sure that's what she meant!

Laura said...

Oh, Cathy, these are among your best sketches!! Your sketch of the Big Gun is wonderfully composed---there's lots of energy and dynamism there, which is quite a feat, considering the heavy and static nature of the objects themselves. The architectural elements are masterfully done.
I've missed seeing you over the past months. Now, I'll be able to drop in more often.

Art with Liz said...

I remember that memorial - wow such memories Cathy - thank you! Next to the zoo? And that big gun looks pretty spectacular. I think you've got that angel down perfectly!

Cathy said...

God, your sketches are impressive! Now I see what you drew, I'm not sure I would have been able to sketch anything so it's probably a good thing if i couldn't join you ;-))
Can't wait to see what you did at your workshop!

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Most unusual venue for the 29th world wide sketchcrawl. Brave subject to tackle that big gun. Anita and I went to Norwich cathedral and had a lovely day.

jyothisethu said...

the pictures and blog itself is beautiful...
congrats...

Unknown said...

I know this place well - beautiful drawings... I've sneaked in here from time and enjoyed seeing your drawings Cathy.

sue said...

Wow! You did a great job on all of these. The perspective in the arch really caught my eye, and I love the angel and the equipment is amazing. Well done! Take a bow!

Gena D said...

HI Cathy - totally love these .... what an amazing eyes you have for the fine detail!!!!

Frank Zweegers said...

Beatiful art you are making! Nice 'kunst' as we would say in Holland :)

Robyn Sinclair said...

Talk about bringing out the big guns! This is fantastic! I bet there were boy sketchers there dying of envy. ;)