Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Carols by Candlelight

This is the line drawing I did last week at the Zoo Lake Carols by Candlelight on Wednesday. I started sketching in late afternoon sunshine, when Simba the Lion and Father Christmas did their thing, and ended in the dark, lit by candles and spotlights as the Salvation Army band, the choir and the Nativity play swung into enthusiastic action.

After a while my Lamy pen was running out of ink and I couldn't see my page any more, so took the line drawing home and tried different techniques - wax crayons, watercolour wash and black and white pens and markers - to try to capture the sparkles, shimmers and glows of the night scene.
Carol concerts and Christmas Fairs have to be held early in Johannesburg. From now on, everybody starts packing up to go on holiday and from the 16th when the Builder's holidays start, it's practically deserted. Carols by Candlelight is an old tradition here, where families pack picnics, presents for needy children, blankets, granny and the kids, and gather in their hundreds on the grass under the stars.
The little girl in the middle seemed to find the drawing lady more interesting than all the entertainment behind her, but when the candles were lit she joined her mom to sing - there at bottom left.

5 comments:

Educational Resources said...

This look really great. Wonderful sketching!!!

Cathy said...

Great and impressive sketch! You always amaze me! Drawing such a big crowd is so scary to me!
It always surprise me to see that in South Africa, the Christmas season almost seem over right at the beginning of December!!

Cathy Gatland said...

Thank you! Cathy, Christmas does continue, but mostly down at the coast where many migrate to for the season - its no use putting on Carol services etc up here if nobody comes!

Bridget Hunter said...

I love the way you've captured the atmosphere of this celebration with this technique.

Ginny Stiles said...

Your sketches leave me breathless...I feel like I am there. The holiday program is amazing and adorable.
Thank you so much for sharing this.