Tuesday, February 21, 2012

If you go down to the woods today...

...and you haven't been around 20 or so tots for a while, it is a big surprise! I'd forgotten how non-stop full-on go-go they can be. It was my nephew's baby's first birthday party on Saturday and I set myself an impossible task trying to capture all the little people that were toddling, crawling and dashing around, while negotiating some sticky hands grasping at my pen and offering me spitty sausages - but I got a few, and a couple twice.
photo: Huw Morris

We brought teddy bears for the Nkanyesi Day Care Centre for children with cerebral palsy in Soweto, a little way to share the happiness of this occasion with babies who aren't so lucky.

5 comments:

Maureen said...

I have no idea how you got such a wonderful sketch done with such wiggly and squirmy babies. Quite the accomplishment. And, the gift of the teddy bears was very nice.

Sadami said...

Dear Cathy,
The painting is so lovely! But I love this photo as well!! Thank you for sharing this.
Kind regards,Sadami

RH Carpenter said...

Wonderful wc sketches of the party - so cute and amazing that you could get this much (in spite of the sticky fingers!). Love this photo, too - it's great! And how wonderful to give teddies to the kids - so many people remember their first teddy or have even kept their first teddy (my Sweetie has his old ratty teddy in plastic in a drawer still and he's 65! I'm not sure how old the teddy is :)

Cathy Gatland said...

Thanks Maureen - I try not to think too much about how - just put pen to paper and go!

Thank you Sadami, I see your hand is recovering well from your recent workshop, I'm so glad!

Rhonda, thanks - I have my old teddy I got when I was two - which makes him 54, yikes! A bit worse for wear but still beloved.

Unknown said...

Lovely sketch, but omg how could you cope with so many little people. I would have run.