Thursday, February 7, 2013

Rocks, Pools, Waves






I'm back from a wonderful, relaxed ten days down in the Eastern Cape - in the little hamlet of Kidds Beach where my family have been spending holidays for generations and which holds many happy memories.
It was quiet after all the holiday-makers had returned to work - we are rejoicing in no longer having to stick to school holidays to take our breaks!
As you can see, I had time to sketch, as well as walk, read, swim, sleep... I found a great watercolour book at our extended family's home, 'Mastering Color & Design in Watercolor' by Christopher Schink, which I studied and took copious notes from, and tried to use some of his exercises in these sketches (using mostly watercolour, with some Inktense crayons). The colours in that rock pool are exaggerated, but when you stare at them for ages, they seem so brilliant! There were beautiful long white beaches too, where we walked and swam, but my husband and son fished from the rocks so that is where I sat too. Trying to paint the sea and rocks is completely absorbing, time flies and I felt I'd just begun when it was time to leave. I can see why some artists spend a lifetime trying to capture it.

10 comments:

Robyn Sinclair said...

Oh my goodness, Cathy these are wonderful. You have such energy and movement in your seas. Congratulations on getting some many sketches done. As you know I'm very jealous of your wonderful holiday by the sea.

Vandy said...

What a wonderful collection. They really capture the spirit of the sea. Reminded me of my childhood holidays on the wonderful Transkei coast.

Anonymous said...

Oh Cathy, these are so so beautiful... I could instantly recognize Bruce by his stance... you have always been so good at capturing peoples likenesses, fabulous, thank you for sharing.
xx

Polly Birchall said...

Lovely holiday paintings, so much better than photographs

Unknown said...

These are great Cathy. You were busy!!!! I must say the sea is wonderful challenge.

Cathy Gatland said...

Robyn, Vandy - the Wild Coast is breathtaking isn't it?! - Annie, he has such a distinctive stance :) Polly and John - thanks for visiting!

Shalini said...

There is so much energy in your paintings!! I can almost feel the sea!

Unknown said...

These are amazing and very inspiring... makes me want to head for the beach :)

Sadami said...

Hi, Cathy,
Wow, really lovely! I can hear waves and feel winds and salt! Only the shame is our summer is at the end.
Cheers, Sadami

Anonymous said...

Hello, I just discovered your blog thanks to a link on a friend's blog and I'm exploring your paintings. Even though I am not very familiar with watercolors which I always found difficult, I really like this series and I especially love the pastel drawing at the top of it.
Really great work!