Monday, March 30, 2020

Just a Box - and the Kitchen Sink


The scary time continues, may you continue to stay safe... I feel so fortunate to be an artist at this time. There is nothing that takes my mind off all the agonising news, thoughts and possibilities than just trying to draw or paint something. Even an empty cardboard wine box is so full of variations and fascinations it completely absorbed me for many hours. As you can see in the series of steps below, I started with a cobalt blue ground, and stuck to a limited palette of yellow ochre, a touch of burnt sienna and white and I think a touch of Paynes grey to reclaim some of the darks.



And carrying on with Urban Sketchers everywhere, another scene at home - my kitchen window sill and sink. Mess is now an excuse to sit down and draw it instead of a guilt trip to clear it up - although that does have to happen eventually, I suppose (rolls eyes).


2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Nice painting of the box - glad you didn’t drink all the wine before painting :) ha ha. And I LOVE the kitchen sink/window sketch/painting!!! If it was super cleared and clean, what would you have had to draw?? ha ha.

Brenda said...

That's the down side of this lockdown, for some reason, probably boredom, I am spending a lot of time in the kitchen and over the kitchen sink! But it does make for a lovely sketch as you have just shown.