Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Not the Trevi Fountain

It was a public holiday today - Heritage Day for South Africans and their many and varied histories and origins. I wandered down to Emmarentia Dam and sketched some of the water features in the terraces of the Rose Gardens. I am still (!) trying to work out which is the best medium for me to do quick and expressive sketches in. Above I used water-soluble pencil with the waterbrush dipped into my small watercolour pans - and then added more splashes and squiggles later at home with a white gel pen. It got far fussier than I'd intended.

This was sketched with a Pentel Signpen which is very water-soluble, and blended it into very dark washes with the waterbrush - it was a very dark shadowy corner. I added a hint of colour at home to make the fountain stand out. It was an enjoyable hour or two - lots of people about and a couple of friendly interested comments - I must do this more often!

4 comments:

Art with Liz said...

Whatever you're using Cathy, works. Especially enjoy the second one. But is there really a fountain with a croc head at Emmerentia Dam? Amazing! It's so long since I've been to Jhb that I probably wouldn't recognise anything anymore.

Cathy Gatland said...

There are two, Liz! I'd walked through those gardens dozens of times before I noticed - plus other animal heads - so not sure how long they've been there.

Teresa said...

I love both of these, Cathy! Thanks for sharing your adventures with different mediums... it's so interesting to hear what others are doing. What a brave soul you are - I haven't gathered the courage yet to "go public" with sketching.... yikes!!

Cathy Gatland said...

Thanks Teresa - I'm hoping my adventures will come to a conclusion soon with finding the perfect medium for me! Public sketching is still something I'm battling with - forcing myself to do it - and it never is as bad as you think it's going to be ;)