Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Seaside studies

The beach was very crowded when I sketched this - our quiet retreat that we've been enjoying on and off over the last thirty years or so, has been discovered in a big way. There were many more people than I've painted here. One of the few really sunny days we had... and the only bits of me sticking out of cover - my inner knees - got horribly sunburnt! A few curious but polite children came to look over my shoulder. This was in my hand-folded Fabriano accordion sketchbook 250x175mm.

Back to the little moleskine and the first bemused attempts to capture the constant motion, colours and mysteries of the beautiful sea. What a joy, even though I feel I need another lifetime to even begin to succeed at this impossible task.

7 comments:

Gillian said...

Ah! These are so great, Cath! And you're brave sitting there under your self-made tent. Poor burnt knees! Put sun brollie on your list next time, eh! I'm living vicariously through your seaside holiday. And the posts yesterday on the road trip; I clearly remember those dodgy nights in Colesberg way back when there was no such thing as a B & B - just that awful old hotel... Perhaps that has been transformed now, it was a lovely old building.

Teresa said...

These are beautiful. So warm and sunny, bright and cheerful. I love your loose vivacious style.

Cathy Gatland said...

Well I sure missed you guys, GH - family holidays are getting smaller and smaller... until I guess, grandies start arriving as VP must be experiencing! Sadly the highway bypasses most of those little dorps with their pretty hotels now - you have to turn off to see them.

Hi Teresa - I enjoyed getting looser - so much easier when you're relaxed and on the spot and on vacation!

Sharon said...

top one reminds me of Llandudno, Western Cape, where I lived until 5 months ago now.... its turned out well and the water colour effect makes it look like one of those hazy days when one should really be at the beach,,,.. and an ice-cream van should not be far away (although on SA beaches its more than likely the chappy with his cooler box!!!)

Linda said...

What beautiful paintings! You HAVE captured the movement of the sea ... just wonderful.

Cathy Gatland said...

Sharon, how lucky you are to have lived in Llandudno - one of my dreams! Though it gets jam-packed too, and the sea is freezing!!

Linda, thank you - I must say they look a bit better here on the screen... more light shining through and lifting the water!

Suzanne McDermott said...

Too bad about your quiet spot being discovered by the masses. Bummer. But I'm glad that you managed to capture at least an edited version of the throng and these sea sketches. Love the splash around the small rock at bottom.