Saturday, March 28, 2009

Still here...

Ooh, I feel like I've been away for ages and ages... I haven't cleaned my studio out yet, but I've purged most of my house, and had a very pleasant visit from my Aussie sister and a much less pleasant visit from lurgies attacking my husband and son and which are trying to attack me, but I'm fighting back with everything I can muster. So I have nothing to show you but this page of sketches of my dog - which I really enjoyed doing because of the lovely pen and ink I used (and my lovely dog). I wish I could take them out to sketch around Joburg (not the dog, though he could come in useful) but it's impossible to perch around a street with a bottle of ink and a dip pen, plus sketchpad and handbag with car keys - though I think some people do.
... and this ballpoint-on-exercise-book sketch of the current Different Strokes project which I'm hoping to get to do in watercolour before Wednesday - I love those reflections in wet sand.

6 comments:

Gillian said...

Sweet old Gucci! He is being good watch dog. You won't believe the noise our THREE make at whatever - some poor innocent walking passed the house. It is deafening!!
Looking forward to seeing the beach w/c. Looking forward to any kind of beach!!

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Love the freedom of line with your dog sketches. Reminds me of the technique of sketching as if you are taking a walk along the line and not looking at what you draw in the hope of ending up where you started!! Also like the confidence of the shoreline figures.

Teresa said...

Nice to have you back!

I love the way your sketches are so loose, clean, and fresh.

r garriott said...

Wonderful contour drawings of Gucci. Love how much you've said with so little line.

Laura Frankstone said...

I love, love your dog sketches! And I've tried taking dip pen and ink out for sketching, but chose a garden where I wouldn't be jostled to do it! Veronica Lawlor uses dip pens for her reportage illustrations, if you can believe it! How DOES she do it?? Glad you're feeling refreshed and organized.

Anne Marie Propst said...

Love your work so I have tagged you with the Passion for Painting Award. If you are unfamiliar, go to my blog to read about it. Great work.

Anne Marie Propst