Saturday, August 13, 2011

After the Symposium

With all the tantalising glimpses of everyone's sketchbooks and the huge array of styles from other fascinating sounding workshops milling around in my head - and my husband and son having joined me as the symposium drew to a close - we caught a train a little way down the coast to Estoril. We had no idea what to expect, just that it was close enough to Lisbon to go back and wander around some more if we liked (which we did). It turned out to be a very popular beach resort, as we started to suspect on the train ride with all the beach bags, umbrellas and brightly dressed co-passengers travelling with us.

I sketched this from our hotel window, with a mind on Melanie's workshop, not putting in all the details of the surroundings, but the simple story of a couple, on holiday at this seaside town where an old castle overlooks the bay

The next day we joined the throngs on the beach and I tried out my 'unschooled' version of Richard Camara's 'Lining over Colour' workshop. I think I overdid the random blobs of colour underpainting trying to portray the masses of bright umbrellas!
Then an interesting mixed media sketch - inadvertently including sunscreen and sand with the watercolour...
 We caught the train back to Lisbon to do some more sight-seeing and tram-riding. Walking, trying to see as much as possible didn't leave much time for sketching, apart from a quickie of this brilliant green tiled building in the Rua do Secula, where we took a short break in the shade. The beautifully tiled buildings in Lisbon have to be seen to be believed - my daughter later asked if these tiles are really that colour... yes, as far as I can match it with paint, they are!
We came across a few stray symposium sketchers still scattered around the streets of Lisbon, working away at their sketchbooks and easels, including Marc Holmes. I had the chance to look over his shoulder at the wonderfully loose pencil linework he does before applying watercolour washes to his buildings - which inspired me to do this one when we were back on the beach the following day. I was really pleased and felt - just as it was time to move on - that I'd just begun to get into my sketching stride.

7 comments:

Liz Steel said...

wow wow wow!!! Cathy these are wonderful! Great that you got to watch Marc - I felt so priviledged to spend a whole day with him.

Carol King said...

These are FANTASTIC! I really love the line over color one. These sketches and drawings are all inspiring.

Marie Theron said...

Cathy, thank you for taking us on this voyage of Lisbon. The people fit so naturally into their surroundings here in you sketches! And when you spoke about facing the throngs on the beach, I thought: yes throngs and thongs! All in all a very enjoyable post. Will you tell us about the formal parts of the symposium too?

RH Carpenter said...

These are wonderful!! Loved each one for it's own personality and style :)

Vivienne said...

Oh these are amazing, Cathy! The Estoril ones bring back happy memories - St Julian's is just beyond the fort at the first sea beach where the Tagus meet the ocean - Carcavelos station is I think the one before Estoril. Did you get as far as Cascais?

A Brush with Color said...

wonderful! I love every one of these. So nice--makes me feel I've been to all these spots. You do the best group sketches of numerous people.

Jojoba India said...

Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts.

Jojoba Oil Manufacturer India