Thursday, May 21, 2015

James Hall Transport Museum



It was International Museum Day on Monday, and to mark it, on Saturday our sketching group motored over to the James Hall Museum of Transport on the other side of the city. As we wandered around the halls crammed with metal, rubber and chrome I admit my heart sank a bit at the prospect of trying to draw some of these mechanical beasts with all their precise angles, lines and engineerings. But down one rather dusty row of cars waiting for restoration I spotted a curvy, lumpy old character that took me straight back to my childhood and my grandparent's home and car in the (then) little seaside town of Hermanus.

My mother stretching to see over the unfamiliar wood and leather dashboard and straining to turn the big circle of steering wheel, my sister and I bouncing around the roomy back seat excited to be the first to see the blue of the sea, smell the smells of Sea&Ski suntan lotion, icecream, salt and sand, peering through the slatted blind of the tiny back window... I'm not even sure it was the same kind of car (I am of the ilk that describes cars as 'red' or 'black') but I was away, drawing and appreciating the beauty of these relics at last. Such craftsmanship, attention to detail and solid gravitas, the more you looked the more there was to love.
Joburg Sketchers produced an impressive set of sketches of a fraction of the collection of this wonderful museum - another place we'll just have to go back to!

6 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

This definitely had to be a challenge!! My favorite is the fire engine, open topped, including that lovely bell! Although I enjoyed the story about the car - the car interiors in those days gave you a full workout due to how far you had to turn the steering wheels!! - and the trip to the sea!

Sadami said...

Cathy, they are absolutely masterpieces!!! You've done amazing job! Congrats!! Cheers, Sadami

Louisette said...

Wonderfull,great painting, love much , greeting from Mons in Belgium
http://louisette.eklablog.com

Isabel said...

its been a moment since I visited your blog and its great to see all the energy and experimenting. Great colours and sketches

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

I am of the same ilk as you when it comes as describing cars. You did an amazing job at sketching these fabulous cars.

Art with Liz said...

Your sketches are inspiring. I am trying to sketch as often as I can, but fall behind very badly. You really are tops at this!